Friday, January 23, 2009

On the Road to Recovery...

This has been quite the week.  

Monday:  At 2 AM Boyd woke up with a fever over 100.  So, he stayed in bed all day while I went to the youth sledding activity, dropped off Kyle, and went to Emma's 4 month appt.  

Tuesday:  I went to school to teach, Boyd stayed home in bed sick and Emma stayed with him.  He was under strict orders to wash and sanitize before he touched Emma and afterward.  She only had 2 bottles while I was gone.  After I got off work, I came home to a husband who looked sicker than when I left.  I went to Kara's to pick up a few things.  While there Emma was running a temp. so we gave her some tylenol.

Wednesday:  I decided to take Emma to Kara's so Boyd could get better.  Since it had been two days of being sick, he was planning on going to the Doctors.  I set his appt for 8:45 called him and when I hadn't heard back by 10 am, I called to find out what the doctor had said.  Well, Boyd didn't make it to the doctor because he got in the car and felt queasy.  This was followed by throwing up.  So, I called and made another appt. for 10:45 and called Kara to see if she would take Boyd to the doctors.  She said she could.  I had Kara call me back because, I knew Boyd was sick and it was hard to understand what he was saying.  The doctor told Boyd he had pneumonia.  Yikes!  This word has always had a horrible connotation to me and now my husband had it.  Kara called me after 12 to tell me Emma had a fever of 100.  She gave her some tylenol and I picked her up at 4:45.  I then had to go pick up Boyd's medicine so he could start taking it.  When I arrived home, I gave Boyd his medicine, and let Emma sleep.  Kara said she had had a hard time getting to sleep.  I then went to Wal-Mart to buy a thermoscan thermometer to get Emma's temperature quicker, and to pick up some gatorade for Boyd.

When I got home Emma was asleep.  I woke her up to take her temperature and it was 102.6.  I called Kara and she said I should call the after hours nurse.  They told me she needed to be seen right away.  I buckled Emma in her car seat and left for the after hours facility.  Emma's temperature was 100.4.  The doctor had to use a catheter to get a urine sample, checked her breathing  and oxygen.  Everything came back normal.  I was told to watch her closely.  If anything got worse to take her to her primary physician.  So I went home, to tend her and my husband.  I decided I should wash our sheets and start cloroxing the house.

I was so tired, I didn't want to shower, eat or anything.  I placed Emma in bed and I went to sleep.  I set my cell phone alarm clock for 4 hours so I could give Emma more tylenol.  She didn't make it this long.  She woke up at 12 and was not running a temp.  She then woke up at 2:30, 6:30 and 10:30.  Each of these time I fed her, changed her diaper, checked her temp. and she was consistently running a temp.  So, I also gave her children's tylenol every 4 hours.  I was exhausted by all of this, and I decided after the 6:30 feeding to shower and then get some more rest.  By 8:30 I was feeling sick and I took my own temperature and now I had a temp. of 100.  

Thursday:  I spent all day in bed other than the times I fed Emma and took care of her other needs.  She was not feeling so swell, so she slept most of the day as well.  I also gave her a lukewarm bath, and placed a washcloth on her forehead to cool her down.  I also had a washcloth on my forehead to bring my temp. down.  In the afternoon I had the sweetest person bring some powerade, soup, yogurt, and other groceries.  I was laying on the bed with Emma and I could hear a lot of noise.  It sounded like a moving van was being unloaded in my pantry and fridge.  I was so touched at this thoughfulness.  Due to this, I was able to get up and make me some soup and drink plenty of fluids like oj and powerade.  Thursday night to Friday night was pretty uneventful.  Like all day I ached all over, had a temperature, and had a horrible headache.  

Boyd went to his college class to pick up his assignment and his professor said, "You look like hell."  He called on Tues. to excuse himself from class because he felt so bad.  Tonight, he felt better so he drove to class to talk to his professor.

Both Emma and I slept a long time.  This was so nice compared to Wed. night.  

Friday:  Woke up feeling about the same.  Emma's temperature stopped at about 6am.  I continued to take it to be sure her fever broke.  It did!  I continued sleeping and about 10:30 I started to feel better.  My temperature also broke.  I still have a headache, kinda achy body, and an earache.  I am so glad we at least are not running a temp.  So, we are all sick here, but it seems we are on the road to recovery.  Thanks to all who have helped us during these crazy sick couple of days.
This time we took the temp. and she was not running a fever.  Thank Goodness!

1 comment:

knjfabela said...

I am so glad y'all are feeling better! I know how crazy it can be with a sick baby! Not to mention you didn't feel all that great either. I hope Boyd is feeling better also. Let me know if you need anyhing!