Here is the story of Ellie's birth. My doctor was going out of town on the 21st, my original induction date. So, he bumped it up to Sat. the 20th. I did not complain. So, at 6:30 AM we checked in at the hospital. I was still a 1 like I was on Monday. Plus I was having some contractions. By 8:40 AM, the IV was in, ouch, and was pumping in Pitocin to speed up labor. At 12:20 PM the Doctor came in to break my water. I remember this being a pleasant experience last time. This time PAINFUL. My cervix was posterior, so he had to grab it and pull it forward to get to the amniotic sack. Let's just say I said, "ow" many times. By this time I was surprised to already be a 3. "Yeah the pitocin was working." So, I had to decide when to get the epidural. I decided, since I was a 3 and breaking the water does expedite the labor, I should call now so the good drugs are on their way. So, I did. The one other lady in the hospital giving birth beat me to it. So, I had to wait an hour before the anesthesiologist made it to my room. I was contracting fairly regularly, but was feeling the contractions differently than with Emma and I was okay with the pain. It took some time to find the right spot and so on for the epidural. So, this part was more painful than I remember as well. However, once my legs were numb, it was worth the pricking pressuring I felt. This was at 1:20. I was checked each hour. I was a 4 by 2:20 PM and still a 4 at 3:40 PM. However, shortly after 3:40 I really started feeling pain in my back, tailbone area, penetrating out my crotch with the sensation of needing to go number 1 and 2 really badly. This happened about every 2 minutes for 20 minutes. I wasn't sure what was going on, but the pain was getting to be unbearable. I was gripping on the side rail, holding Boyd's hand and doing some breathing in and out to make it through the pain. I had just been checked so I felt dumb asking them to check again, but I asked anyway. I had gone from a 4 to a 10 in 20 minutes. Yikes! No wonder I was feeling the pain. The anesthesiologist came in and topped me off. I was still feeling the pain of each contraction but it was not as intense nor as long. He explained that with my body changing so fast, it was really hard to play catch up with the epidural. So, he claimed to have brought in the big guns and sent it down my tube and my legs weren't numb anymore, they were dead weight. So, the nurse comes in and says we are going to push. During a contraction she had me push for 10 seconds a few times in a row. I also was supposed to be holding my legs up at this time. This seemed near impossible. So, the nurse and Boyd helped me get my legs up and the pushing was easy. The nurse went to get the doctor and he was taking his sweet time getting to me. The baby was right ready to come out. Boyd could even see the head. I was instructed not to push. With each contraction, however, my body was naturally pushing. So, I told them this and the nurse called for my doctor over the phone. He came in and was getting suited up. The nurse was worried this baby was gonna come out on her own whether my doctor had his gown on or not. As a last minute decision, I decided to watch the birth. It may be gross to some, but it was purely amazing. The doctor made it in position just in time as I contracted again and my body pushed the baby right out. This was at 4:32 PM. I did not push at all. She just slipped right out with great ease. It was so cool to witness. Then I wanted to see what the doctor was doing and I leaned forward and he said, "You're still attached, you are going to pull her back in." Oops. I was just wanted to see her right away. Boyd took this moment to get a great"just born" photo with the umbilical cord and all. I was very proud he was able to snap this and keep it a modest shot. So, that is the story. Was there pain, yes, but all in all the pushing a delivery was a breeze. The nurses and doctor all said, "You make it look easy." Well it was. It takes a while for my labor to start, but then BAM it goes quickly and TADA a baby is here. By the time Ellie was born, the epidural was working wonderfully and I didn't feel a stitch. I only tore a little. 1.5 on a 1-4 scale for tearing. I was able to enjoy my baby and not feel a thing as I was being stitched up a bit and cleaned up. With Emma, I felt a lot of the stitching. So Ellie is now here and she is a delight to hold and spend time with. I hope my story wasn't too graphic. What a miracle we witnessed yesterday. I am always in awe how perfect children come into the world.
I was up and moving so I was able to watch Ellie get her first bath. She didn't love it, but at least she was cleaned up from her entrance into the world.
Here is our clean little girl sprawled out under the lights in the nursery. We were able to pick out the bow. We chose purple, so we will always know the difference between our two little girl's first pictures at the hospital.
Sometimes I think she looks like Emma now, but not as Emma did as a baby. Other times, I just think she has her own look. It is fun to see her change each time I see her.
Kaiya brought this precious little outfit to Emma. It is a preemie size. It is amazing how she is still so tiny compared to it. Ellie is doing well, eating well and sleeping a lot. Tonight I might be feeding fairly often. Thank heavens for the nursery who will bring her in to eat and take her away so I can sleep.
3 comments:
Congratulations!! Shes beautiful.
Wow, what a story! I love birth stories (including the graphic stuff, I'm weird). Every time I read a birth story, I feel so grateful to be able to bear children. What a blessing to be a mother!
Congratulations! Ellie is precious. I'm glad you are happy with how the delivery went and how the hospital stay has been. Having two girls and this close in age is perfect, they'll grow up being best friends (most of the time) and you get to dress them up in matching or coordinating outfits, which has been so fun for me with my two girls.
Good luck with the transition once you come home, and have fun!
Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well and that you're home with your two beautiful daughters. I hope your recovery is swift and that you can enjoy your time off of work to be home with your girls.
Post a Comment