For as long as I can remember, my mother had a countdown calendar for us. When we were younger kids, we would take turns eating a small candy cane for each day up 'til Christmas. When we were older, my mother's good friend shared a gift giving count down calendar idea. My mother was very excited about this and made one for each of her kids. We started a new tradition of taking turns opening gifts each December day up until Christmas. When I was in college, I would anxiously await the arrival of the countdown calendar. It always had little treasures for me to open each day and made the Christmas season away from family much brighter.

Now it is my turn to carry on the tradition with my kids. Last year was the first year that I did this. Kyle was ecstatic. He loved getting presents on the weekends he would visit us. This year, once again, I planned ahead and had little toys and other trinkets to give to my kids each day. This year the girls will take turns opening a gift each day. When Kyle arrives we will let him open a gift each day he is here and the girls will continue the pattern of taking turns each day to get a gift. It was so fun to collect little items for fairly cheap to place on the countdown calendar for the last several months. I hope my kids love this tradition.
The first gift, I decided, would be a big gift I have been wanting for several years now. Each time I would be around Kaiya at Christmas, I was reminded of how much I wanted this for my girls. For whatever reason, I never picked it up. On Black Friday, it was on sale and I just had to indulge.
The girls worked really well opening this gift together. It is the Fisher Price Little People Nativity Scene. It was the perfect gift. The girls have been playing with this nonstop. I often find Mary, J0seph, and even Baby Jesus on the top where the Angel is supposed to go. It went really well with the tender FHE lesson we had on Monday about the story of the Nativity.
I have to admit, Emma is hogging this set. Oma and Opa gave them the soft set a year of two ago, so at least each girl can have their own Nativity to play with, or they can divi out the different characters and play together.

My mom had several extra trees and offered to let the girls have one of her smaller trees in their room. So, we put the tree up and went to decorating. The idea behind this is that they can decorate and take down the ornaments as much as they like on their tree. However, the big tree in the front room is not for them to play with. The girls had a blast decorating the tree with David.
A look of excitement
Working together
Emma- 3 years
Ellie - 21 months
With the countdown calendar ready, and the tree up and decorated, these girls are ready for December.
2 comments:
We love the countdown calendar and of course the nativity too! I'm also lovin' the girls little Santa hats. How cute are those! I would say one of the best things about Christmas at Oma's house is having your own tree to decorate, in your own room. So much fun!
I really want to do an advent calendar for my kids. I think I just need to set time aside to make one. Yours looks so fun! We also have the Little People Nativity. My favorite is finding random animals or a dragon (from other Little People sets we have) on the top. I also love that you let the girls have their own tree! The rules for our tree have evolved to simply be "only remove one ornament at a time." The breakables are all at the top. :P
Post a Comment