I know I am a little behind, but here is the birth story of our Porter Jay Stephensen. I went to the hospital and was induced at 8 am on August 7, 2012. They started by giving me Pitocin and assured me that my doctor would be by to break my water. I decided to get my epidural before my doctor made it in to break my water. I was dialated to a 3 at this time. Around 1:00 my doctor broke my water. An hour later, no change. Two hours later, I had onle dialated an additional .5 centimeters. The nurse said she wasn't impressed. Well I noticed that only my right leg was numb. My left leg felt normal. This concerned me, so I told the nurse and asked if I could get the anesthisiologist to come back and fix it. I started to feel my contractions. It felt like I had to poop, then I would feel cramping in my stomach, and then a weird pain in the crotch area. This happened over and over again. Then my cramping became extremely painful for 15 seconds. Then the intensity would lesson for 4 seconds, and after a few minutes it would start all over. I was miserable. Even after the anesthisiologist came in and gave me another dose. I felt everything and was in pain. All of a sudden I said, something like"I feel like I have to poop. I think his head is here. My nurse yelled something, and three other nursed came in and brought a table and made all the other preparations needed for a baby. My body had gone from a 3.5 to a 10 in about 30 minutes. The urge to push was so strong, yet my nurses kept telling me not to. I tried, but the urge was so powerful to push, so after being told to not push, I said, "I"m Pushing!" It was very painful. After 3 pushes, I must have had the head in sight, cause all of a sudden, the nurse said, " okay you are going to have to bear down and push. so, I did. She said, no honey I mean bear down and push as hard as you can. So, with all the strength I could muster I pushed with everything I had, and felt a quick shooting out of my body sensation. Literally, Porter shot out like a cannon and the delivery nurse caught him. You have to realize that when I pushed, it was just like it was in the movies. I was grunting in pain and pushing so hard. In between contractions I would feel so relaxed like nothing was going on, and then the contraction would start and the urge to push would over power me and I would push so hard. So, by the time the baby was born, I was so exhausted. At 3:38 Porter Jay was born. He weighed 8 pounds 14 ounces and he was 21.5 inches tall. I pushed so hard and fast, that his little face was bruised. It was a definitely new birth experience and I am convinced I felt a good 90% of the pain. My doctor made it in time to deliver the placenta and stitch me up. My right leg continued to be numb for 12 hours and my left leg was completely normal.
I hate this picture, cause he looks like a battered baby. However, this is how he looked when he was born. My sister was there for the entire birth and followed the baby around with her camera. She was able to get some great pictures of Porter. Good thing she was there, cause I needed Boyd as a support and comfort as I was feeling a lot of the birthing pain.
Daddy and his little boy
I worked hard to get this little guy here.
My sister Tanya and her kids came up to watch my girls while we were at the hospital and for the first week. They are all holding up their blue gum cigars in honor of Porter's birth.
Kaiya, Eli, and Porter
Emma and Porter
Alexis and Porter
Ellie and Porter
My sister Chanda and Porter
My sister Tanya and Porter
Niece Kayla
Niece Ashlynn
Nephew Brayden
Nephew Chandler
Nephew Carter
Chanda, Chandler, and Carter
All and all, everything went well and Porter is a beautiful baby boy. The one thing I will always remember about him, is how massive his hands were on the day he was born.




1 comment:
I'm so glad you invited to ,e to be there and take pics of his birth! It truly was an event I won't forget. Being able to witness such am amazing day with you will last for eternity! Welcome baby Porter!
Post a Comment