Monday, July 7, 2008

Fun with Kayla and Kyle

Kayla, my 10 year old niece came to stay with us for 2.5 weeks. Already things have been off to a great start. Kayla and I enjoyed visiting Colonial Days and the Ellis Island exhibit. She really makes a cute immigrant or pilgrim.

Then Kyle came to stay with us from Thursday the 3rd, to Sunday the 6th. We had a blast with both Kyle and Kayla. They sure make the holidays much more fun. We felt like a family of four for the weekend. Kyle and Kayla got along just like siblings do. They played, teased, and even got mad at each other. Thank goodness they are so forgiving of one another. It was nice for Kyle to have someone to play with while I would get dinner ready. It also made playing board games more exciting. Three people to a game can get boring. After taking Kyle back to his home, Boyd and I enjoyed playing games with Kayla. Since she is older, the games can go longer and she doesn't get bored as easily as an 8 year old.



Kayla posing as an immigrant at Ellis Island.

Kayla is now a pilgrim at Jamestown.

Kyle is playing with Kayla in the car. Anytime he sees a bug like a slug bug,ie VW Bug, he calls it a hug bug or a love bug. Each time he spots one he either hugs or kisses Kayla (on the cheek of course). Isn't that a lot nicer than the slugs we received as children.

We took "our little family" to Denny's. Let me just say, eating out with kids is an experience. They kept us laughing through the whole meal.

It is fun to see how grown up Kayla is. She is definitely a girl. Boyd is so good with her. He teases, and plays and laughs with her. This only makes me even more excited to have a daughter. I know Boyd is good with kids, but generally he is doing the sport thing with all the primary age boys at ward activities. So, it is great to see what a softie he really is with a girl around the house. Kayla has even helped Boyd to play games. He doesn't like playing with me because he says I am too competitive. However, Kayla is equally competitive. (Maybe it is a Brown thing.)It was so fun to watch Kayla and Boyd play chess last night. Yeah Boyd won, but Kayla impressed me with her knowledge of the game. I still don't know the names of all the pieces. I know there is a horse and a little guy but the names and how they move are totally foreign to me. So, if Kayla can learn, maybe I will give it a shot someday.

2 comments:

knjfabela said...

Alisha,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I am sitting in my hotel room and Kaiya is asleep so I can't call but we wanted to wish you a happy b-day! See you in less than a week!!!!

Allyson said...

It looks like you had fun. I can't believe how grown up Kayla is.