Monday, June 27, 2011

Playing in Rock Springs

We have been in Rock Springs for a full 2 weeks now. We are getting things situated and learning more about our new terrain. One thing about Rock Springs and Green River is they have lots of parks in each city. We have had a chance to check out a few of them so far. We also moved just in time for Flaming Gorge Days. This was a three day celebration with booths, food, competitions, a parade, concerts, and free kid activities. This post includes a few of our happenings in our new found territory

Dinosaur Museum

At the local community college there is a free dinosaur museum. It is not Thanksgiving Point, but it still had dinosaur bones and Emma loved it.
T-Rex
Ellie was there, but she just ran around and I couldn't capture her on camera

Park Adventures

Ellie near the playground
One of the parks we went to, was more for Boyd and Kyle than the girls. So, I ran around keeping track of them. Ellie was all over the place.
Emma still tried to scale the playground
She did an awesome job though.


We went to a better playground for the girls. This turned out to be super fun.


Local Splash Pad

Not far from our house is a small splash pad next to a regular park. We went and checked it out. Emma and Kyle really had a great time. Ellie, was scared of the water. I am sure she will warm up to it soon.
Emma ran between the splash pad and the playground all day.

Ellie took a nap while Kyle and Emma played at the park.

Our House

Emma loves to go in the front yard and just sift through the dirt. Afterwards, she looks like Pig Pen on Charlie Brown.
My girls love getting dirty. At a home with little to zero grass, it happens quite often.

Flaming Gorge Days

On Friday I took the girls to the Flaming Gorge Days celebration. It was the typical fair with booths. The best part of it was there were inflatable toys for the kids to play with. Emma loved this and wanted to go on the slide over and over again.

Here I come
She loved this slide. It was a huge drop, but she loved every minute of it. I am pretty sure she went down this slide at least 10 times.
Emma learned that sometimes we have to wait in lines to do the things we want. This was a hard lesson for her to learn. She would try to sneak in the front or go on the slide more than once and succeeded a few times. I had to get down on her level and explain that everyone wants to go on the slide and she has to wait her turn. Here she is waiting her turn patiently.
A quick photo op turned into a gem. At this park, there is an old train car. You can climb on it but not in it. Emma wanted to check it out. So "click" and a masterpiece was created. I really love this picture and I am not a photographer, but I like how this turned out.
Boyd got off work early, so he came and joined the fun. There was a free train ride. Emma was dying to go. So, I decided to go with her and we were driven around the block. It was pure bliss for her.
Here we are waiting to depart the station.

On Saturday, we went to the celebration again. The Friday crowd was so much better than Saturday. It was overly crowded. However, with the heat beating down on us, the girls were convinced to try out the splash pad. Emma and Ellie were hesitant at first, but they had a ball once they were eased into the splash pad. It was fun to sit back and watch them.
Emma learned from others, that it is really neat to cover up the water spurts. So, here she is with each foot covering one of the water spurts.
Ellie crouched down to check out the wet grass. The splash pad was just behind her few feet.
Daddy and I took turns watching the girls run around. Emma stayed neat the splash pad and then would come join us at our little blanket, but Ellie would run 'til her hearts content. So, we had to take turns following Ellie and making sure she was okay.

Emma taking a moment to warm up after running around in the cool water. It was a little windy so when we were wet, we also got the chills at times.
With it being so hot, we had to take breaks and hang in the shade at times.
After a full day at Flaming Gorge Days, the girls were tuckered out! I tried to keep Emma awake, but she was so exhausted that it didn't matter what I did to keep her from falling asleep, she had already drifted to dreamland.
They both played really hard and passed out during our 12 minute ride back home!

2 comments:

The Tanner's said...

I didnt know you guys moved to Rock Springs. We go over to Rock Springs quite a bit to go shopping instead of going to Salt Lake (seems how WY is closer!) We will have to come visit next time we come over. Cant believe how big the girls are getting!! Hope you and Boyd enjoy WY!!

Ellie Jenkins said...

Alisha, i had no idea you were moving, i wish we could've got together before, i am actually moving to cedar city, nate got a 4th grade teaching job! Give me a call sometime or email address and i will send you my blog too:) hope you are having a great time and adjusting well!